bats

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 13:25:18 -0500

> It seems to me that it is this same Doppler effect that occurs when there is
> a ceiling fan running near the piano.

It sure is. And come to think of it, I have noticed the effect during tuning
with no fan going and just didn't make the connection that it was coming from
the echoes of folks moving around the room. There are so many transient
anomalies we deal with during tuning that I just work around it and press on.
Of course, now that Joe  has mentioned it, it will undoubtedly bug me.

> This is another example of how to fix a piano that "went right out of tune
> that afternoon" over the phone. If the customer says the piano has a strange,
> "quivering" sound or anything about strange tone or being suddenly out of
> tune, be sure to ask if there is a ceiling fan running.  I've gone on enough
> service calls to ask that question first.
>
> Bill Bremmer RPT

Yep, me too. It pays to frisk them over the phone before wasting time driving
across town to turn off the fan, or take the penny out from between the keys,
or perform the pencillectomy, or remove the rattling decor from the piano top
or... whatever. I've "cured" a lot of things with an unaccompanied service call
by talking the customer through the process over the phone. They're so proud
when they get that penny out all by themselves.

Ron N