Yamaha "S" Pianos vs. others

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 20:18:48 -0400

Joe, button up that flame suit!

Not really, but no more than a month ago, an old friend (engineer) from NY
had recently purchased a new piano(name withheld to make my point) for the
studio. The piano was a big improvement from what he had previously. I asked
him what persuaded him to make that particular purchase? He said it was a
size(7' +/-) that he wanted for the studio and it was time to 'upgrade'. He
was very happy with the response(he's a former keyboardists, and a good
one), but he wasn't 'sold' on the sound for every application for the
studio. I suggested to him that he go back and listen to old classical
recordings to get 'the sound'(I was more specific, but you get the idea).

About a week later, he e-mailed me telling me that he knew exactly what I
was talking about, but wasn't sure he could get that sound from his new
piano. I told him anything is possible with good quality instruments(flame
suit adjusted) and make sure your technician is on the same page with you.
He thanked me and told me he would get back to me on the progress.

I haven't heard anything lately, and probably won't for awhile, but at least
he understood what I couldn't possibly express in words.

I love music,
roo(k)