Yamaha "S" Pianos vs. others

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 08:30:52 +1000

Joe and list,

Joe wrote:

>IMHO we're dealing with an ever-increasing number of people that have a
>hearing loss, due to our VERY NOISY society. It's a pity, but alas I believe
>this to be one of the major reasons for the sale of loud, brassy sounding
>instruments. The other reason is a little less blatant in appearance, but
>is, in my opinion, part of the problem. That being, recording studios have a
>distorted idea of what a piano is really supposed to sound like. So, we are
>subjected to improperly EQ'd recordings. This is rampant throughout the
>recording industry. Methinks to many reformed Rock musicians have gotten
>tired of playing and are now in the studios, with their poor hearing! Just
>this guy's opinion.

Absolutely Joe. I've noticed also that the greater the hearing
roll-off of the particular pianist, the brighter and harder they want
the piano (after several years at this you get to know who's deaf and
who's not - by interpreting the things they say about tone).

In general, pianists with a history of practicing for many hours per
day have significant roll off (this is also a problem for those piano
technicians who are full time tuners only - ie. those who don't mix
their work week with bench or rebuilding work). One local tech here
in Sydney claims that I over voice pianos. When I hear the pianos he
has prepared, which end up with a tonal quality something akin to
glass breaking (after a thorough juicing up), it is obvious why he's
complaining - his 'top end' must have departed years ago. For some
international artists that I have experienced previously, I
deliberately stage the voicing of a given concert piano until after
they have performed, allowing the piano to get brighter leading up to
their visit.

Ron O
--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au