Fw: An Afghan American's point of view

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:58:23 -0400

At 9:30 PM -0500 9/18/01, jolly roger wrote:
>  In the process of raising some standards of living for the general
>population,  there will be a changing of attitudes towards the west.
>Health, food, shelter, and security to live, is a Universal human need.
>Once you remove these basics, it is easy to use hate in any form as a
>rallying point.   In Malaya, the Communist stole rice and lived off the
>backs of the rural population,  the British dug wells and built bridges.
>They won the hearts and minds of the masses, and the campaign was
>successful.   It was slow and long, and not ideal footage for CNN, but it
>is the only way.   By this approach the masses will have hope, and see some
>light at the end of the tunnel.   They will imform and give valued
>intellegence to get rid of the cancer, that haunts their Country.
>   My personal feelings is we have to stamp out these animals,  my only
>question is how?

We've got a better chance of "winning the drug war". At least the
drug cartels are held together by money and family. al Qaeda is held
together by God (or so they say).

I like what the British were doing in Malaya, It certainly worked
better than what we were doing in Iraq.( I remember the bumper
stickers going in to '92 election; "Saddam Hussein still has his job,
Do you?")

Consider this. Who remembers the Hell that Milosovic unleashed among
the Balkan republics? Who would have thought that Slovodan would in
the year 2001, be in a jail in Holland, getting due process in the
International Court of the Haige. What worked in that case was a
democratic election which he was foolish enough to allow, and the
decision by the new government that Serbia could not survive outside
the family of nations. Of course Serbia is definitely in the European
watershed, and the rogue governments of Islam would look towards the
oil-rich islamic states for convincing of the benefits of a family of
nations.

I think that as we watch the coalition for action being put together,
we as Americans will learn alot about how other corners of the world
view history since WWII. How that will work I don't know. But I know
that wars such as the one we're talking about are never won.

Peace is to important to be left to the politicians. Furthermore,
bridle tapes should be installed so that they can be quickly unhooked.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"A man who tells the truth is bound to be found out sooner or later."
     ...........Uncle Harry in "The Tailor of Panama"