Steinway bridge laminations - the saga continues

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 07:42:37 -0500

> One thing I did note was that the boxwood capping started from
>C64.  Do they still cap the treble with boxwood?  I know Fazioli does so
>and intuitively it seems like a good idea.

Don't know, but Yamaha does in the C series and CF.

>There is also an oldish (forget the date) Steinway patent for a bridge made
>of alternating laminations of maple and fir or spruce.  Whether this was
>ever put into production I don't know but unless one looked carefully, one
>might imagine it was all maple.
>
>JD

I posted about that one recently. I don't know if the original idea made it
into production either, but I assumed the switch was made to darker soft
wood at some point to make the "feature" visible for the sales folk.

Ron N