Steinway bridge laminations - the saga continues

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 07:49:02 -0500

> Thick cap. I have to say that I could
>not tell if it is flat or quarter sawn. I am not able to see any annual
>growth rings anywhere. The sides look exactly the same as the top - all the
>little speckles (wood rays) that you see in maple. (Do you have any other
>handy hard maple grain orientation ID methods?) The ends are cut rather
>rough, so you can't really see what the grain orientation there. Bass bridge
>appears the same also. I'll look more closely later & see if I can see
>anything definitive. I'll report if I do.
>
>Terry Farrell

That was my problem. I'm not entirely sure whether I was seeing saw cut or
grain on the bridge end, and couldn't get past the furniture (et al) to get
an eyeball to end grain look. I thought maybe you might not have yours
packed so tightly. I'd like to think it's not flat cut, but I suppose if it
can't be determined by looking at it, it's a moot point.

Ron N