More Square questions

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:55:36 -0700

Terry,
Refer back to my lengthy explanation of the inconsistancies of the scale
itself. With the overwhelming imbalances in the scale, the volume and tonal
production of the Square is out of balance with itself. To put it another
way: If you play the low A, it has a big round sound, similar to larger
grands. ( the bridge is in an area that allows flexibiltiy of vibration w/a
long back section for the string). An octave above the sound thins out and
gets nastier towards the treble. This, IMHO, distorts the players concept of
real piano sound.
As for "Cheek Lift", this is the problem created when the case warps. The
strings are basically diagonal in the case, hence the tension is pulling
from the "far left, (bass), end of the piano to the "near right", (treble)
end of the piano. The first thing I do, when encountering a Square for the
first time, is walk up to the right end of the piano, put both hands on the
corner and put all my weight on that corner. If the piano rocks, then it has
cheek lift. Of course, if the piano is placed on a thick carpet or if the
client/mover has shimmed the casters, then this test will not work. An
alternative would be to carry an 8' straight edge with you and check the
bottom of the piano for curvature. Hope this clears up those questions.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, (Oregon)
P.S.
Yes, a nasty spinet does play better than a Square Grand! Try this test:
play a note on a modern grand. Slowly let the key rise to the first 1/3 of
the key stroke and then push down again. The note will play! Play note on a
modern Upright, (even a nasty spinet), do the same until the key is approx.
1/2 of its stroke, push down and the note will play! In the Square grand:
you play the note and then you MUST allow the key to come all the way up to
"rest" position before it will play again! In other words, you have to take
your finger COMPLETELY off of the key for it to repeat again! This really
will screw up a student's timing and physical attack.
P.S.S.
I really wish that all techs would quit bashing Spinets. All though they are
not the ideal, they do provide a decent living for a lot of techs, because
there are so many of them out there. (ie don't bite the hand that feeds
you!) <grin>
Joe