Quieting Grand Action Noise

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:23:05 EDT

In a message dated 09/19/2001 1:10:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
MERRILLPIANO@AOL.COM writes:

> The noise of the action parts settling after releasing the keys on a
> client's 1978 Baldwin R is more noticeable the last few years after it was
> moved to the desert in Grand Junction from Florida.  I noticed the same
> thing on my 1970 Yamaha G3 after moving here from San Francisco.  The back
> rail felt on the Baldwin looks pretty compressed compared to the ends that
> are not receiving the blows from the key ends.  On the Yamaha, the back
> rail felt still seems pretty cushy and I think a lot of the noise is from
> the knuckles bouncing/hitting on the rep lever.  Hammer flange friction on
> both pianos is 4-7 swings, so those aren't rattling I don't think.
>
> Any thoughts and experience others have on trying to quiet actions would be
> appreciated.  Once knuckles get hard, can they be softened?  How? Does
> replacing back rail felts help much?
>
> Come to think of it, I also have a client with a brand new 6'1"
> Kohler/Campbell(Samick) that makes a big racket when releasing the keys,
> and a Baldwin M at the college and .....  :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tom Merrill, Associate
> Grand Junction, CO

Tom, I have found the number one cause of noisy actions after releasing the
keys to be the capstan felts, I just replace them.  The back rail felt can be
packed but doesn't usually make to much noise.  Also when going to a dry
climate it can be good to check how well the key frame is bedded.
David Koelzer
DFW