Fwd: VIRUS WARNING!!

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:29:14 -0500

List,

Here's some info a friend sent me. Please check out "virus warnings" before
you forward them on!!!!

Avery

Specifically, there are some nasty viruses going around, but nothing like
what is described in the forward I received. I would never rely upon
forwarded messages to to "warn" me about viruses--mostly that spreads
panic and misinformation rather than any help. E-mail is the biggest rumor
mill on the planet and it's usually generated by somebody who THINKS they
know something (or has other motives--see below).

As an "IT Professional" I go to reputable sites to find the latest and
most accurate information about what's going on in the virus and security
arena.

Here's some good places to go to get the skinny on what chicken little
just mailed out en masse:

    http://www.cert.org/

    http://www.mcafeeb2b.com/naicommon/avert/default.asp

    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/

The News Media as a tech source?
Even if "CNN Announced" a virus alert, don't believe it unless there is a
link to the story included. The news media aren't exactly experts in the
field and they thrive upon the drama, shock, and panic for ratings.
Don't trust them 100%--they sell advertising not news. Reporters aren't
all that savvy about technology, either. Check on their homework.

Hoaxes are usually laced with some appeal to authority but provide no
solid links to the source. I found no links to any such story relating to
"panic" about a virus in NY.

Anti-virus software companies must stay current and must supply
technically accurate information to stay in business--especially these
days when technology is in a bear market. Consider them primary research
sources for information because they have to be.

Don't get duped by some anonymous tip forwarded from a guy who knows
a guy who heard something. (It's probably a scam to get e-mail addresses
for spamming you!--that's my theory!).

Just some thoughts from behind the scenes.

bk