Spring Rail Rebuilding

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:37:03 EDT

Terry:

I recently fully replaced a spring rail, rabbeting out the ledge and taking a
pattern of holes from the original (1872 Sty ur). The springs I used were
originally from a set of springs provided for the Renner back action
replacement kit. The originals were .025 and the replacements were .029.
There is no problem with this if regulated properly; the regulation is
easy--just massage the springs back starting at the coil end if they are too
strong, and forward if too weak. At first I was amazed at what they added to
the touch weight before I weakened them. But you should not have to worry if
you are within such tolerances as you describe.

PR-J