High-tension or Low-tension?

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:27:56 -0700 (PDT)

Got a question for you (or anyone else who can answer
it):

Do you know of a way to measure the individual (and
the overall) string tension in my 56" 1913 Ricca (sn
37123) with the strings in the piano and pulled up to
pitch?  And, what tools do I need to do it with?

I'm just curious as to what the scaling in my piano is
like and if it would benefit from rescaling.  It
currently has a 56" A1 speaking length, not sure what
the speaking length of the lowest tenor note and
highest bass notes are, A1 - F#10 = double-wrapped
monochord, G11 - B27 = single-wrapped bichord,
bass/treble break at B27/C28, C28 - C88 = plain
triple-string unisons.  I personally don't want to put
any wound strings at or above C28 (I like the sound of
plain strings down there but my piano needs some
voicing :)).  Do you think if I knew the string
tensions and some of the other speaking lengths it
might help to determine if my piano would benefit from
rescaling?  Also, what do you guys do when you rescale
a piano?

--- Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>