1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings or more

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:49:14 -0700 (PDT)

I have a friend and an uncle who both have similar
spinets.  My uncle's is a 1970s or 1980s Thearle (I
think -- that's the name on the fallboard and plate)
36" spinet, and the other friend's piano is a 1950s to
1970s vintage Wurlitzer 1170 series piano.  Both have
the same stringing arrangement (A1 - A#14 =
double-wrapped monochord, B15 - G35 = single-wrapped
bichord, bass/treble break = D30/D#31, G#36 to C88 =
plain triple-string unisons.  Until I opened up the
pianos, I thought the mono/bi break was around
G#12/A13 or something like that and the bi/tri break
was where the bass/treble break happens to be.

On my mother's PG-150, I can easily tell where the
bass/treble and monochord/bichord breaks are, but I
have to look to see where the bichord/trichord break
is.