Quieting Grand Action Noise

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:00:01 EDT

In a message dated 9/19/01 1:10:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
MERRILLPIANO@AOL.COM writes:

> The noise of the action parts settling after releasing the keys on a
> client's 1978 Baldwin R is more noticeable the last few years after it was
> moved to the desert in Grand Junction from Florida.  I noticed the same
> thing on my 1970 Yamaha G3 after moving here from San Francisco.  The back
> rail felt on the Baldwin looks pretty compressed compared to the ends that
> are not receiving the blows from the key ends.  On the Yamaha, the back
> rail felt still seems pretty cushy and I think a lot of the noise is from
> the knuckles bouncing/hitting on the rep lever.  Hammer flange friction on
> both pianos is 4-7 swings, so those aren't rattling I don't think.
>
> Any thoughts and experience others have on trying to quiet actions would be
> appreciated.  Once knuckles get hard, can they be softened?  How? Does
> replacing back rail felts help much?
>
> Come to think of it, I also have a client with a brand new 6'1"
> Kohler/Campbell(Samick) that makes a big racket when releasing the keys,
> and a Baldwin M at the college and .....  :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tom Merrill, Associate
> Grand Junction, CO

Tom

The problem is the wippen cushion felt. The only solution is to remove each
wipppen, brush the felt with a brass brush, and then "voice" the cushion.
Take your voicing needle and fluff up the felt from the sides and from the
top. You will have to regulate the action afterwards, but it will take care
of the noise.

Willem