Brambach

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:34:49 -0500

>...Lady is complaining of thuddy bass strings, and "tinny" tone, and doesn't
>want to spent much money.  Any suggestions...
>les bartlett

Les, List,

If you are willing to work in an attempt to solve this piano's problems and
receive the money she doesn't want to spend, you can experiment as much as
you want and as long as you want.

Two ideas follow:

1) Short of replacing the bass strings, I have twisting offending ones back
and forth for temporary new life until replacement was the only option.

2) As to tinny tone areas (hammers with little or no felt), I have taken
buckskin and glued it to the hammer faces and adjusted let-off to
compensate for the added thickness.  Then I harden the leather to blend it
in with the rest of the piano.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731