2 strings

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:14:26 -0100

> What's a UK 4460?

Patent number from Harding.

Has to do with the design usually attributed making upright pianos
popular, so distorted copying starts earlier.

> log scaling never got to the bass section

Excel gives l_1*0.985720825^n, with n=1 for the lowest note on the bass
bridge (9, really), l_1 its length (1117mm). In practice, it's two
connecting straight segments, while the treble bridge is two
intersecting arcs (%BS identical for plain wire).

vbf = 1.650*1.135*0.300*?
(tail = 0.520, perp. to spine; cheek = 0.615)

Burly baby with a funny voice.

> Ignore the % of breaking strength which I've found doesn't agree
> with published wire specifications.

Parsons used a single figure for breaking strength, looks from about
1.25mm diameter Röslau wire. Gives low in treble. This could be
corrected accurately without resorting to an LUT.

Clark