Quieting Grand Action Noise

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:26:24 -0500

HI Isaac,
               I use the common white glue with 50% water, it does not set=
 up,
as hard as a rock.  I think it is a kind of PVC-E type glue, but I'm not
sure.   Carpenters glue sets up too hard, and can be problematic in it's=
 self,
and can cause a click or squeek.
I think that I have tried all the main types of glues, and  have found this=
be the most effective and quietest.

Before glue sizing, I will try and steam the hole a little, Take a wet rag=
 and
partially push it into the hole,  then touch it with the tip of a hot iron.
find this approach very effective with keys that have no hardwood shoes.=20
Again, it you steam the holes, leaving over night to dry seems to work=
 better.

Regards roger

At 10:39 PM 9/21/01 +0200, you wrote:=20

> Hello Roger,
> =20
> That's my way too , and it works very well.
> =20
> Taking care not to steam too much of course.
> =20
> Question, What is your favorite glue for glue sizing balance holes ? what
> dilution ?
> =20
> Thank you.
> =20
> Isaac
>>
>> -----Message d'origine-----=20
>> De : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]De la part=
 de
>> jolly roger=20
>> Envoy=E9 : vendredi 21 septembre 2001 17:53=20
>> =C0 : pianotech@ptg.org=20
>> Objet : Re: Quieting Grand Action Noise
>>

>>> Tom=20
>>>
>>> The problem is the wippen cushion felt. The only solution is to remove
each
>>> wipppen, brush the felt with a brass brush, and then "voice" the=
 cushion.
>>> Take your voicing needle and fluff up the felt from the sides and from=
 the
>>> top. You will have to regulate the action afterwards, but it will take
care