Bolt strength

Sat, 22 Sep 2001 11:18:48 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <kam544@flash.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 22, 2001 10:40 AM
Subject: Re: Bolt strength

> What I found particularly interesting was the word, capscrew, and its
> definition:
>
> "... Put mildly a bolt is a metal rod that has a head at one end and a
> screw thread at the other. The bolt is passed through the parts to be
> joined then the nut is installed and drawn up thus holding the parts
> together. A capscrew is, basically, a bolt without a nut. In other words
it
> screws into a prethreaded mating part like an engine block or similar
> casting. Capscrews might hold an accessory like a water pump to the engine
> block while a bolt and nut can be used for holding an alternator to the
> adjusting plate. They are both fasteners..."

Hmm? This makes it sound as if the cap screw was a stud--i.e., without a
head. I don't recall the precise definition of a cap screw, but in practice
it is any machine screw with a cap not having a hex shape. This includes
flat head, oval head and round head machine screws as well as a whole family
of socket head cap screws such as the so-called Allen (with a hexagon
socket), spline socket, square socket and a whole bunch of new ones..

Del