FULL rebuilding evolution/uprights

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:48:25 -0400 (EDT)

   We had Mr Bolduc show our chapter how to install
new soundboard, new pinblock, and bridge caps
in an upright piano. We did it to a 1920's Hientzman.
He is a good teacher, and gave a comprehensive
presentation as he actually did it, and compleated
the job. It is very time efficient with his
techniques.

  I would like to hear from anyone who currently is
performing such rebuilds.

1) Have you found a market for these.
   in the $10,000 Canadian, $6500 US range.

2) Does cliental hear and understand the difference
   enough to be contracting such work on uprights.

3) How did starting to do high end full rebuilds
   change your business, attitudes.

  Our region does not yet have anyone doing upright
or grand soundboards, done locally, as a matter or
normal rebuilding practice. We have not evolved to the
point where some are quoting all or nothing packages
quite so comprehensive. I believe there is room and
a market for a comprehensive approach that may be
expensive, but may cater to a market.

  I am hoping some experienced rebuilders would
have a few words of wisdom to share about their
own experience evolving into this type of work.

  Did you question if the market would be there,
and were you surprised at the result, or did you
find it a labor of love, and a very small market.

  Any questions about the class/procedure welcome.

                       Cheers
                       Dave Renaud