Tinnitus Subject

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 18:07:20 -0700

List,
Some of you may know that I am deaf! I have had tinnitus most of my life. To
some degree, it is hereditary, but for the most part it is caused by trauma
to the ear, such as explosions, constant LOUD noise, etc. It can also be
caused by chemicals, such as aspirin. DO NOT, (I REPEAT), DO NOT EVER ALLOW
A PHYSICIAN TO GIVE YOU ANY MIACIN MEDICATIONS! These medications will
destroy your hearing. A few of you, may have attended one of the two classes
I gave, (with my partner Jay Thurman, B.Sc., BC-HIS, and my savior), on
Stigma of Hearing Loss. The long and the short of the class is. . . PLEASE,
get your hearing checked annually, or at the very least every two years!
Also, those who know me, know that I have been "railing" about "Safeway
Tuners" forever. If you do more than 4 tunings in any given day, you are
DEFINATELY damaging your hearing. If you do 2-3 per day with breaks every
hour, then your ears can recover. Take what I say as gospel, as I am living
proof that ear damage is the pits!
Very Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T., (Oregon)