Lost Motion Adjustment

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 21:07:06 -0400

I won't tell you all about my bad day Friday. It started out with a "Grand"
(mfg.) piano (oh, yuk!), and ended up with the highlight of the day - by far
the most decent piano of the day - a Story & Clark console.

BUT I will tell you about the 1897 Emerson 48" upright I ran into. The
wippens laid directly on the back ends of the keys - no stickers, no
capstans, etc. The rear key area had an approx. 3/8" thick piece of wood
glued to top with a piece of action cloth attached to top. The wippen had a
rounded wooden heel that rested directly upon the action cloth of the key.
There appear no way to adjust lost motion, except to replace action cloth
with perfect thickness cloth that will not compress. Am I missing something
here? It is not a rocker setup either. The thin block of wood attached to
the top of the key is glued along its entire length to the key. There is not
way to adjust, save move the action up or down.

Wazzzzzzzuuuuuuuppppppp here? Could it be?

Terry Farrell