pianotech-digest V2001 #1272

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 18:51:02 -0700

 Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:24:13 -0500
> From: "Anthony S.Wright" <asw2nr@earthlink.net>
> Subject: ergonomics, stress,  and tintinus

> that I had "Menier's Syndrome", which is an incurable swelling of the
inner
> ear; due to excess fluid in the inner ear. He said that I would just have
> 'live with it'. He prescribed some rather violent diuretics to lower the
> fluid pressure throughout my body, which helped some, but the relief was
> temporary. He also recommended that I cut back on my intake of salty food,
> to cut down further on bodily fluid retention.

Unfortunately, there many "quacks" out there that are too quick to diagnose
"Meniers". My mother was the unfortunate recipient of this BS. For many
years she adhered to such strict diets, etc., until a younger, better
informed Physician told her she did not have it!

An additional fact; I came to
> piano technology from having been a rock and roll musician, and the ENT
> doctor blamed my deteriorating aural condition on my previous exposure to
> high sound levels from my time in the band. I was ignorant at that time of
> using ear protection, which I regularly use now.

I too, have a similar history, so please get the word out to all music
lovers of the dangers.

> I was fairly unhappy and worried about what he said; and didn't want news
of
> my condition to get around my community of technicians; who was going to
> hire a deaf piano technician?

I quit hidding my "problem" and got vocal about it. You'd be surprised how
understanding your clients and fellow techs can be.

> from many tunings over a short time period.

Do FEWER and charge more. Quality not Qantity, please. :-)

> I wholeheartedly agree that ear protection is critical while tuning, for
the
> high dB levels (particularly in the mid to high treble) we are exposed to
> during the process of tuning.

I have personally done studies of the sound levels of my shop and the tuning
process. DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE SUBJECTING YOUR EARS TO 90DB TO 95DBS
DURING TUNING. and. . . THE BASS DOES MORE DAMAGE THEN THE TREBLE! Sorry,
didn't mean to shout!
<G>

Some most creative solutions have been had
> through hearing aid professionals who can mold fitted hard plastic
earplugs
> specific to the individual ear for the highest rates of sound blocking,
and
> further, I understand these earplugs can be fitted with band-pass filters
> for specific frequency ranges, to adjust those ranges for specific dB
> levels. The earplugs of this nature aren't cheap; I believe to be more
than
> $100 per pair. My personal everyday preference is the foam earplug that is
> cheap and available in nearly any drug store; and affords a 29-31 db level
> of protection.

Excellent advise. A thought: $100 for ear protection oooorrrr, $1500 per ear
for my current Aids and $3500 per ear for the "Next Generation", cutting
edge aids, now available!

> I hope this has been of use, and greetings to the list.
>
> Anthony Wright

Anthony,
What you posted is very good! Welcome to the list, we need more such as you.
And I hope all who read this, will pass the "word"!
Very Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T., (Oregon)
p.s.
Are you "listening" DEL? :-) :-)