Mannino reamers

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 08:57:12 +0200

Hello Mr. Mannino,

I have a set of broaches in a little black linen pouch. Are these yours ?
the broaches are about 2' long , which I find a little short for me to
burnish the bushing, but I have it with my tools,  For the shop I made long
reamers with the long center pins we can find easily here in Paris. May be
what is sold to us is old American Piano Supply stock , but I've find these
I bought lately are better than some I had find 15 years ago, wich where too
aggressive indeed.
Beside, we use metric system for the pinning , the correspondence is not
optimal.

I always wondered how is the actual pinning system in USA.  I guess Kawai
imported from Japan are in metric system, or are some made in the U.S. ?

Thank you.

Isaac OLEG

P.S. Do you know Michel Durbise ?

-----Message d'origine-----
De : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]De la part de
Donald Mannino
Envoyé : dimanche 23 septembre 2001 06:14
À : pianotech@ptg.org
Objet : Re: Mannino reamers

  Hi gang,

  The broaches sold by Schaff piano supply are my invention, although in
reality I merely refined something that someone else had shown me, and
worked on a procedure to make flange repinning accurate, stable and quick.

  These are straight smooth wire, pointed on the end, and roughed up in one
area near the handle.  They come now in 8 sizes to use with most of the
center pins you will need to put in pianos.

  American Piano Supply used to sell something that was similar, but the
roughed-up area was much too rough to work correctly.  I tried many times to
get them to fix them, to no avail. They left the bushing too chewed up.
Since Schaff bought them out, they don't make the bad ones any more.

  Herb at Schaff told me that he has sold a lot of the broaches to other
piano suppliers in other countries, so you might see them for sale
elsewhere - I think I saw that Pianofile in Canada has them.

  Don Mannino