FULL rebuilding evolution/uprights

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 11:25:13 -0400 (EDT)

Farrell  wrote:
I sure would like to hear more on this.
$6,500 US for a complete rebuild -
all you say plus new action, refinish,
etc. seems way low. I don't see how
a small shop can do it well for under
the $10,000 to $12,000 range. In my
opinion, I would rather buy one of
these than an new Yamaha U3 for $12,000.
--------------------
OK. Good question on economics.

The following outlines my thinking on this.

Comments welcome....just thinking it through.

1)Firstly Ottawa/Canada pricing is cheaper.
An average RPT tuning is $80 Canadian(about$51US) &
hourly rates $35 to $55 Can ($23 to $36US per hour).
This is in the city, in the countryside there are
some people much cheaper. Even in the city
there a few are $55 Can.(about $35US).
Some will respond with we must raise our prices.
The problem is $80Can is a good upper end
at this time in this city.

2) Bolduc's pricing and procedures
are very efficient. He sends the
board back with ribs, precrowned,
The pinblock is reproduced and just
about ready to install, and the
bridge has a new cap ready
to knotch. The cost for all these
parts is approx. $1700 Canadian,
about $1100 US.
  It took two days, not pushing too
hard, and the soundboard, pinblock
were in, drilled, and bridges finished.
Removal of upright pinblock takes about
3 hours, and the glue joint is ready
and clean,installation about two hours,
he drilled the thing in about 30 min.
Upright soundboard upright did not take
long either.
  So what is two days labor. For me
normally $360 per day(four tunings)
is $720 Canadian, About $460 US. plus
the parts $1100 US and some shipping
say $1800US to round it up. Now if
there is to be a thousand dollars(Can)
additional profit on parts, labor,
say $2500US total so far.
  Other common average Ottawa prices
in Can dollars. Stringing with parts
and pitch raising $1400, key bushing
$250, Hammers with parts(Able) $600,
dampers($150), cover keys($250) 8 hrs,
alignment/regulation/repair day
($360)a few tunings-4($360),
Overhall pedals($80), lets include
repining, re glue jacks, so on for
two days($720),

This list adds $4170 Canadian(about$2710 US).
With the structural work gives
us a total of about $5200 US.
Add refinishing here for about$2000Can.
Already $1000 profit included above
and beyond labor.

I arrive at about a $6500US figure.
Much lower then the $10,000---$12000 US mentioned.

  Now consider that there is a dealer
in Ottawa already selling Hientzman
uprights with new stings, new hammers,
refinishing,and regulation for $10,000