FULL rebuilding evolution/uprights

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 04:25:37 EDT

Roger, Jim,

Of course you have noticed that re-using old strings doesn't insure a good
comparison test, because just lowering and raising tension on the wire can
improve tone.  Any change of the placement of the string at the v-bar may
improve tone.  I believe that the string work-hardens (?) at the v-bar,
restricting string movement.  Susan Kline's experiments on an SD-10 as she
described them in the Journal showed what a number of us had already discoved
through accident (me) or (for some of you) intuition or scientific inquiry.

You had already pointed out, of course, that the PSO 40" pianos receiving the
repair no doubt regained positive bearing as the result of the back repairs,
making a major difference beyond the improvement in the back's structural
integrity (even though related to that returned integrity).

I have to confess the heresy that I have heard enough Steinways with
pinblocks undoweled at the stretcher which sound incredible.  I like a firm
stretcher/pinblock joint, but I am not as convinced that it is important for
tone.

Bill Shull

In a message dated 9/23/01 2:24:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,