High-tension or Low-tension?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 06:33:43 -0400

Well, if no one else is going to ask, I will. Please describe
mechanism/design that permits the adjustable-crown soundboard. Is this the
"Sostenente" soundboard? If not, please describe that. Thanks.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Delacour" <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2001 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: High-tension or Low-tension?

At 09:37 21/09/01 +1000, Overs Pianos wrote:

>>. . Brinsmead is worth a lot of examination and applied a great deal of
attention to his string scales as well as to every other aspect of his
pianos, which are among the very best.

>Well this is indeed a surprise. Are you just taking John Brinsmead's word
for the quality of their instruments, or it is something that you have
noticed.

I ought not to rise to the bait but my 1880's vertical, garlanded with
medals won at exhibitions in three Australian cities and bearing the
insignia of the Légion d'Honneur, presented by the French to JB I guess for
his gallantry in the resistance against the Erard action, insists that I
should!

This upright, apart from its exquisite case, has a soundboard with
adjustable crown (not yet required) and a 30 mm. high bridge which, apart
from negotiating the bar very correctly, is also specially profiled about
half-way between the tenor bar and the treble bar to accommodate the string
scale.  Every detail of the materials and construction of this piano is of
the highest quality.

Until a few years ago I also kept a 6'3" grand at home and parted with it to
a French dealer who had nagged me for three years to sell it to him for his
daughter, who is now a pupil of Marta Argerich's and adores the piano,
though she has worn out the action.  Next year I shall be in a position to
renew the action with a modification that completely eliminates the its one
major weakness.

What puts the Brinsmead grand in a class of its own from the tonal point of
view is the "sostenente" soundboard.  Last year I rebuilt a 5'6" model of
the same construction and this too is a fine piano and would knock a
Steinway 'O' into a cocked hat.

JD