1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings or more

BEATRIX ERWIN erwinpiano@msn.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:41:49 -0700

Hi John

    You will find the address to both hammer makers in the back of the cu=
rrent journals.  personally find the tone of the Japanese hammers to be f=
airly one dimensional focusing on the brighter spectrums and not taking a=
dvantage of the fundamental frequency's as readily.  As for juice some of=
 the best sounding pianos you've ever heard have varying amounts of solut=
ion in the hammers. Your reticence will diminish with experience. Please =
let me know if I may be of assistance.

    Dale Erwin  -209-577-8397
 =20
----- Original Message -----
From: John Delacour
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2001 4:41 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org; pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: 1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings or more
 =20
At 23:54 21/09/01 -0500, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>We have found that when the scale and the soundboard are working togeth=
er we
>>are able to use quite soft hammers--such as those made by Steinway, Ron=
sen
>>and Isaacs--with excellent results and with virtually no lacquer in the
>>treble. Even these will generally require some needling through the ten=
or
>>and (sometimes) the bass and upper tenor. We couldn't possibly use Japa=
nese
>>or German hammers. At least not as they are sold in the U.S.
>
>Likewise, on all counts. Rather dramatically too, I might add. This is a
>tough sell for most of the rebuilders out here (as it was for me before =
>assimilated a few more basic soundboard design truths than I had
>accumulated at that point), but it's dead on in practice.

Interesting.  So Steinway make their own hammers in the US.  I was not aw=
are of that.  In Hamburg they use Abel's hammers (now covered with Laoure=
ux felt, I have just learned from Laoureux).  Before that they used Renne=
r hammers, which were made by Helmut Abel, then working for Renner.

The hammer I have had the most consistent and pleasing results with is th=
e Imategawa with the unshaped walnut moulding.  These I obtain without im=
pregnation and do all the boring and shaping myself.  Very little toning =
is required and what is needed is easy -- and more important I have never=
 had a soft set.  I detest any use of dope.

I'd like to try the Ronsen or Isaacs hammers.  Have you got addresses for=
 them?

JD