FULL rebuilding evolution/uprights

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:46:36 EDT

In a message dated 24/09/01 4:30:39 AM, Bdshull@AOL.COM writes:

<< I have to confess the heresy that I have heard enough Steinways with
pinblocks undoweled at the stretcher which sound incredible.  I like a firm
stretcher/pinblock joint, but I am not as convinced that it is important for
tone.

Bill;
 I don't think that the "dowels", per se, really make a difference but the
solid connection, be it screws, dowels, epoxy, etc., between
rims/block/stretcher certainly does.  The only issue I adressed was the issue
of "sustain" and that could be measured more or less objectively. While
"sustain" makes up a portion of that nebulous thingee we call 'tone' it is
not the only factor. While I 'feel' that a fitted block gives better
tone/power that is a much more subjective thingee than being able to
'measure' sustain. Which brings us to the Nossaman enigma...i.e. what part(s)
of the rebuild/restring actually made the differences?? :-)

Jim Bryant (FL)