Cheek Lift & Rim Twist

Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:19:05 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 24, 2001 9:14 AM
Subject: Cheek Lift

> Terry,
> Yes a traditional grand does get Cheek Lift. However, because the grand
> piano sits on 3 legs, you cannot check it as I earlier described. You can
> see it, if you have the affliction I have. And that is, when I go into a
> room, I immediately get a brain(?) signal if the room is not square or if
> the sheet rock is not flat. Bothers the hell out of me! Also, if pictures
> are not hung straight. I'm sure there is a way to measure a grand to see
if
> cheek lift exists. (Help me out here Del!) I have seen a few grands with
> that problem.

Joe & Terry,

I'm not sure I answered your question earlier. Or if I'm even addressing the
right question--I wasn't following the thread earlier. But, on the
assumption you are talking about rims that are out of square:

My earlier post on the subject described an easy way to observe rim-twist.
You could also place one of your winding sticks along the treble arm/cheek
and back up to the treble side ten or twenty feet and sight across to the
top of the bass side of the rim. This would tell you if the treble arm were
square to the bass side. But if it weren't it wouldn't tell you much about
how or when it got out of square.

Del