FULL rebuilding evolution/uprights

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:40:06 -0500

> Which brings us to the Nossaman enigma...i.e. what part(s)
>of the rebuild/restring actually made the differences?? :-)
>
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Yes, anything you can mention that can be done more than one way, or not
done at all, will make some difference. I'm just hoping to help outline
some sort of realistic priorities of importance for myself and the rest of
the piano service folks out there to dispel some of the general smoke. It's
not that holding one's tongue just so won't make a difference as one
polishes the tops of tuning pins to clear up false beats, but time might be
better spent on something else that will make a more detectable change.
What service and rebuilding people need is, in my opinion, a much better
overall understanding of how things work, why they don't when they don't,
how to try to tell the difference, and a workable priority decision tree to
determine where to best focus our attentions for best result with the least
guesswork and false trails. We seem to be making some headway, but there
are still plenty of swamps to drain.

I'm kind of with Bill on this one. While I agree that solid bedding, mass,
and rigidity is essential, I've also heard Steinways that didn't have the
block attached to the spreader sounding much better than a lot that do. I'm
sure it makes some difference, but I can't say how much since there are
other factors lower down in the foundation that will make bigger
differences - these factors being unaccounted for in the observations.

Ron N