Are online "ebay" type pianos a good idea?

MoodyPiano@AOL.COM MoodyPiano@AOL.COM
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:15:28 EDT

As time goes on I am getting more and more calls for piano moving for pianos=
=20
that people are bidding on via ebay and similar auction style sites.

n two instances that I can remember, we have had negative experiences.
In one instance, a customer purchased a baby grand piano for $800.00 in NJ.=20=
=20
The piano was supposedly in "showroom condition, only needing tuning."  We=20
were hired to move it from NJ to MA.  After delivery we referred the custome=
r=20
to a technician for service who deemed the piano's repairs to be more than=20
the value of the piano.

In instance #2, a customer had called us to purchase their piano.  Upon=20
evaluation we found the piano to be unserviceable and explained this to the=20
customer.  2 weeks later, I received a call from a customer in Washington=20
state that was looking to purchase a piano on ebay from MA and was looking=20
for advice and moving costs.  Coincidentally it was the same piano. =20
Thankfully she ended up not purchasing the piano but I still wonder if=20
someone ever did.

Does anyone have any feedback positive/negative on these types of=20
transactions?  My initial feeling for the everyday consumer is that there ar=
e=20
too many risks involved with purchasing a piano like this and the opportunit=
y=20
isn't there too get it evaluated by a technician.  So my overall=20
recommendation to customers is "stay away from piano purchasing on ebay,=20
etc."  Does anyone have any other thoughts or recommendations that they give=
=20
to their customers?

Thanks,  Lanie
Moody Piano & Organ
Metro West Plaza (rear)
796 Boston Post Road East
Marlborough, MA 01752

Phone 508-877-2222 or 508-229-3601 =E2=80=A2 Fax 508-303-8996
<A HREF=3D"mailto:MoodyPiano@aol.com">MoodyPiano@aol.com</A> =E2=80=A2 <A HR=
EF=3D"http://www.bushellcompanies.com">www.bushellcompanies.com</A>=20