1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings or more

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:50:16 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> You're entitled to your opinion. Just don't complain when someone buys
> a Petrof because they actually like the way it sounds and when they
> are willing to accept the mechanical limitations of the instrument to
> get that sound. The mechanical limitations, after all, can mostly be
> overcome by a reasonably accomplished technician. The folks buying
> these pianos based on their performance are also entitled to their
> opinions. And if they manage to save a few thousand in the
> process...so what? Good for them.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and no doubt have them. That being
said,  I have never complained to a customer about their choice of
pianos. And my "opinion" of Petrofs (or any other piano) doesnt come
into this particular equation at all. A poorly manufactured piano is
exactly that... and nothing can change that. Pinblocks that come apart
or are installed such that you can drop a 5 mm thick peice of wood
between the block and the plate are not issues of opinion. Nor are
poorly spun bass strings, nor bridge pins that are sloppy and angled all
over the place, nor agraffes that are turned in all manner of depth and
angles.  I also must take issue with the presumption that a field tech
should be expected to deal with these kinds of "limitations" on brand
new instruments that claim to be of quality manufacture. Further,
dealing with these limitations costs money, and there goes any
"savings" out the window... plus some.

> I still maintain that a well designed inexpensive piano can/will
> outperform a poorly designed expensive one. It's just that there is a
> dearth of well designed pianos available in any price range. (At least
> by 2001 design standards. There are quite a few well designed pianos
> by 1901 standards.)

I dont recall anyone mentioning a problem with piano  >>design<<
issues.  But ok.. have it your way. I still maintain that a poorly built
piano, regardless of how well designed it is, will remain a poorly built
piano and as such will not outperform much of anything.

> So, you have a well-publicized contempt for Petrof pianos but that
> doesn't mean everyone else in the music world
> must share that contempt..

Well, I could say something like "Your well publicized contempt for
Steinway has been a matter of record for sometime. How do you like it eh
?".... but I wont.

> That's good, because I don't have any contempt for Steinway or for
> their pianos. I just wish the performance of the Steinway piano lived
> up to it's marketing a bit more consistently. I also believe our
> industry--including, but not limited to Steinway--can do better. In
> fact, I believe if it to survive as an industry, it must.
> Del

Yes, well (for the record) neither have I this contempt you accuse me
of  for the Petrof piano. I just cant recommend them for more then they
are.

Of course we can agree that every manufacturer can do better, be more
honest, provide a better product for the money and the rest. But if I
was asked to choose who I thought was doing the best job of it then I
will give an honest answer, and do my best to leave personal tastes,
prejudices, and "opinions" out of it.

But again.... we are way off the origional intent of this thread... I
still dont see how  picking scales apart from a technical / mathmatical
point of view and defining them as being good or bad by that criteria
jives with the earlier call for paying attention to the subjective
tastes of musicians.

But thats ok. Probably not that important.

Cheers,

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.