Cheap vs costly

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:33:43 -0400

Sorry to have to correct you Wim, but this is important: when referring =
to a particular marketing technique of a well known North American piano =
manufacturer, i.e. "crock or doo doo", get your facts straight! It is =
not a crock OR doo doo, but rather it is a crock AND it is doo doo - or =
as perhaps one might say: "a crock of doo doo". Let's not have another =
slip like that!   ;-)

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 6:23 PM
  Subject: Re: Cheap vs costly

  In a message dated 9/24/01 2:16:34 PM Central Daylight Time, =
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:=20

    I guess my question are these:=20
    Since it appears that Young Chang is now building a line of =
cheap(er) S&S almost-clones, how do they compare with the original? What =
is the public's perception of them? How are Y-C dealers accepting them =
and, more importantly, how are they promoting and selling them? What is =
their performance like really--in the home or studio with real people =
playing them? And, the question I expect both S&S and Y-C are asking: If =
the public was confused by the S&S/Kawai deal, what's it going to be =
like with the S&S/Y-C deal with the Y-C looking and feeling increasingly =
like the S&S?=20

    Del

  "Real" piano players will play both pianos, and pick out the one they =
like the best. Most will continue to lean towards the S&S, because =
historically, (at least up until the early '70), these were the piano of =
choice for the vast majority of "real" piano players.=20

  What makes S&S still a better seller is the name. I don't have a =
figure on this, but I wouldn't be surprised that a majority of S&S's are =
sold as a status symbol. Most people who can afford to buy a grand =
piano, regardless of their playing ability, are going to pay the little =
extra to buy a Steinway for two reasons. One, it makes them look good in =
front of their peers. It makes them look better than the people next =
door. These people, regardless of what the instrument sounds and plays =
like, presume it is supposed to sound and play the way it does. After =
all, it's a Steinway. And aren't S&S's the best there is?=20

  The other reason these people buy a S&S is the sales pitch they are =
given about the "investment" value of S&S. I've written about this crock =
or doo doo before, so I won't go into it too deep. But basically, if the =
public is led to believe that 10 years from now their S&S is going to be =
worth twice as much as what they paid for it, in light of the way the =
stock market has been behaving, why not "invest" in a Steinway.=20

  Just my 2.5 cents worth.=20

  Wim=20