Tuning/Regulation Marketing

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:54:18 -0400

Friends,

Somehow I didn't see this statement in its original posting, so I don't know
who wrote it, but I disagree pretty strongly.  It is the result of defining
piano service very narrowly, not taking into consideration the needs or desires
of the client.  After all, whose piano is it, and who is going to pay the bill?

But it would be unethical to just tune the piano if you charge the client for
doing more work that you never did, and certainly if the client is willing to
pay for the extra service and expects you to do it, then it should be done.

Equating such statements to other service occupations often helps me to see
things a little more clearly, or I try to put myself in the client's place.
For example, suppose I took my car to the mechanic and just asked him to change
the oil and filter.  When I go to pick it up he did that but also flushed the
cooling system, steamed down the engine, and serviced the transmission because
he felt "it was unethical to just change the oil" when he felt other service
was also needed, and then handed me a much higher bill than I was prepared to
pay.  Believe me, I wouldn't go back.

I service a lot of pianos which need more than I ever give them, but the client
isn't interested.  There are a few which have service needs so pronounced that
I will tell the client additional work should be done before or with the next
tuning.  In a couple instances I would refuse to tune the piano until the work
is done because I am just asking for more trouble for myself (for example,
replacing bridle straps in ancient pianos).

Regards,
Clyde