Are online "ebay" type pianos a good idea?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:00:49 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/01 12:28:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
stephen_airy@yahoo.com writes:

> I was wondering if you guys would discourage me
> (whenever I am able to afford shipping them, or buying
> my own pickup and driving the up to 12-hour drive (and
> paying for the gas) to pick the pianos up) from buying
> old dilapidated pianos on e-bay for the sake of
> rebuilding them?  I'm mainly thinking grands (cause in
> the end they're worth more than uprights with maybe a
> few exceptions but I don't know), but I'd also like
> experience with some uprights, like M&H, Knabe, S&S,
> Hallet & Davis, and other reputable brands of the
> 1870s to 1920s.

If you want to spend your own time and money to buy a piano on e-bay, for the
purpose of rebuilding and selling it, that's your decision. But it is not a
good idea to tell a customer to buy a piano, unless they are prepared, ahead
of time, to spend the maximum to rebuild the thing. Then, if all it needs is
a tuning, they'll be happy.

Wim