Steinway Uprights

ROBOTUNER@AOL.COM ROBOTUNER@AOL.COM
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:04:42 EDT

       String seating and stretching are essential,especially in new 1098s
and Ks.John Patton reccomends stretching the strings with a slotted brass
tool pushed in and up along the speaking length of the treble strings.I use a
half inch dowel with a bichord agraffe on one end,with a cut from a hack saw
to form a groove.It works well,be prepared to do a pitch raise tuning
afterwards.The results will be less noise,no rings,and a stable tuning.I
should add that hammer shapeing and travel also need to be addressed when
trying to "clean up"the treble area.Also tuning hammer technicque comes into
play here.I like to have my hammer between 10:00 and 11:00 position.In that
way I am turning the pin more and bending it less.It takes practice and alot
of patience,but once you get the piano in tune and seated it will stay in
tune longer than most other brands.         Robin Olson RPT  Wash DC Chapter