Tuning/Regulation Marketing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:12:55 -0400

Not to worry mate! No worries here! No, it was just the marketing approach
that knocked me off my chair!

**On its own page the following (at the top of the list of topics to click
on):

WARNING

Over the years the Piano Industry has seen some very unethical members -
they have been akin to the proverbial "car sales man" - often these people
haven't been trained and because they are musically gifted think they can
tune and repair a piano - the results of their shoddy work is out there!
Many of these people only work in the industry part time and never develop
the required skills to do a professional job. (These people are often
recognised by unrealistic charge out rates, or offering pianos for sale at
low prices (which are general junk), or by not having an official business
structure.)

Piano tuning is much more then pulling the string into tune, it is
understanding the sound production and development and the correct function
of the keys. The unethical pratice of just pulling the strings into tune has
lead to many pianos being badly out of regulation. Your tuner should be
sacked if they don't work on touch and tone at EACH tuning visit. Remember
the 3 T's - TOUCH, TUNING & TONE.

**On a separate page under tuning:

TUNING

All our tuning is conducted by ear - this is recommended by companies such
as Steinway & Sons. A440 is the pitch we tune to, although we can tune at
any other pitch. Tuning takes in the 3 T's - Touch, Tuning and Tone (these 3
T's make up our standard "Tuning" and are outlined in the following).

Our tuning service is based on a hourly rate, we do not have fixed prices.
On average the tuning (string pulling) time should be about 1 1/2 hours
however if the piano has not been tuned for a number of years, more time
could be required for this. On average the Touch & Tone side of the "tuning"
takes up to about 3 hours for an Upright and about 7 hours for a Grand
(however at times we need to spend more for Concert Work). Tuning does is
not including any repairs of felt replacement that may be required. Travel
expences are to be applied to the tuning fee, based from Palmerston North.
We travel anywhere in New Zealand

**This is me back again. So it would seem that to do an ethical tuning on a
1952 Howard grand, for example, I will spend about 8-1/2 hrs. @ $60/hr. =
$520 plus any repairs of felt replacement that may be required, oh, and
travel expences are to be applied to the tuning fee. Hey, if I could do 5
tunings like this a day, I would be doing A-OK!

I guess my point was that the marketing suggests a service that you will
find nowhere else - and unless you use it, your piano will fall into
disrepair. In fact, any well-trained full service technician offers this. I
would think it better to simply do a standard tuning, and then spend a few
moments and educate the owner about regulation, voicing, etc. I do agree
with one thing here, and that is that the technician that does not offer
regulation, etc. and does not mention this aspect of piano service to the
owner is indeed doing a disservice to the owner.

Not to worry!

Terry Farrell