Texas State Convention - 'Piano Scale Design'

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:13:56 -0700

From: "thepianoarts" <thepianoarts@home.com>
To: <ptg-l@ptg.org>
Sent: September 22, 2001 1:40 PM
Subject: Texas State Convention - 'Put the Hammer Down'

>  The Dallas / Ft.Worth area is gearing up for the Texas State =
Association
>  seminar.  Designer and builder Del Fandrich's all day class "Piano =
Scale
>  Making - Understanding How Pianos Work", starts at 8:30, the morning =
of
>  Thursday October 11th. All other classes start on Friday, the 12th. =
and run
>  through Sunday the 14th.
>
>  Need more information? Contact Leon Speir (e-mail) leonsp@swbell.net
>  214-381-0212
>  -------------------------------------------------------

To Whom It May Concern:

I'm really going to have to come up with a new title and description for
this class. The current title, Piano Scale Making, makes it sound like a
lecture on how to design a new piano and that's not really what it's =
about.
It's more about understanding how piano design and piano features affect
piano performance. It's about understanding how the various materials =
and
the various construction techniques yield certain predictable results in =
the
overall performance package.

This is a class that keeps evolving. The handout is now up to 16 pages =
and
I've begun adding bits specific to vertical pianos. (Basic piano design, =
of
course, doesn't really care if it's applied to grands or verticals. =
Piano
design theory works the same in either case.) I've been adding things =
for
the rebuilder; illustrating some of the ideas we've been putting into =
our
remanufacturing work. I try to get some discussion in there about =
voicing
problems that are design and materials related and about matching =
hammers to
specific scales. I also discuss some of the basics of string scale =
design
and of rescaling old designs. The class is open to questions and each
generation of the class (hopefully) reflects input from previous =
classes.

In other words, this is not a lecture on how to design a small grand =
piano.
It is a class on understanding small pianos in particular and pianos of =
all
sizes in general. It is a class on "Understanding How Pianos Work."

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder