Herrburger action (w/ gif)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:30:09 +0100

At 11:34 25/09/01 -0100, Clark wrote:

>> Where is there an illustration of this action? Does anybody have a
>> jpeg to post to the list? JD?
>
>We have a Gildemeester & Kroeger grand with a Herrburger action, either
>pn/424202 and pn/520989 (1890, 1894); ccl/84/239 (not very helpful!).
>
>I've included the first drawing from the first patent.

Yes.  The claim for this patent is quite interesting too, but this is not the action I'm referring to, of course.  See how that 8 mm. vanished though!  I wonder if the sum of the friction set up between the tongue and the repetition lever and between the hardwood knuckle and the tongue as the hammer comes down would be significantly greater than in the 'standard' action and affect checking?  Probably not, and besides, the surfaces are more manageable.

JD