ET- Expanded Temperament..kinda long.

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:35:39 -0400

Hello all.

Recently, I have begun to expand my temperament octave to be an octave and a
half. My temperament runs from F3 to F4, but recently, I have begun to
'expand' it to include all the notes above F4 up to and including C5.

Why?

Well, experimenting with the best tuning I can give, and hopefully, letting
the piano tell me how it wants to sound.

For those still listening, let me explain how I am 'expanding' the
temperament octave..oh..and by the way, if this is old news to some, my
apologies..you can delete now..but I will have a question after this is all
explained..

The first note I tune in the temperament octave is A3, tuned from A4..next I
tune D4 to A3..and now I am paying *alot* more attention to the D4-A4 5th
instead of just the A3-D4 4th..perhaps I should have been paying more
attention for awhile..that's another subject..

Next, I tune G3 to D4..once I get that 5th where I want it, I tune G4 to G3,
paying close attention to how fast the D4-G4 4th wants to beat..not too
fast, but not too slow, either.

Then I play D4-G4-A4 simultaniously..if this is sounding smooth, I
resume..If there's some beating going on, I correct it 'if it's musically
possible'..now do you see where I'm going?

If you know the F3-F4 pattern, then you have a pretty good idea of what
comes next as far as pattern and testing..oh..testing..since I have been
using this Expanded Temperament, I find myself not testing 6ths and 3rds
unless, while I'm setting the temperament, something is obviously
wrong..usually with me, it's the G#3-C4 third..that tends to be fast if I
have a 'mistake' somewhere.

Anyway, when I get done with this F3-C5 temperament, I am finding that the
overall sound of the piano is a little sweeter than if my temperament was
just the 1 octave testing 3rds and 6ths along the way.

I am still testing 6ths and inside 3rds in the Bass.

The rest of the tenor and the treble section is tuned to single octaves,
listening to double octaves after C6 but not tuning to the double octave
like I use to do.

I realize this is not re-inventing the wheel, but to the aural tuners out
there, do you expand your temperament and why.?.?

Phil