Stupefying Pitch Volatility

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:55:34 EDT

List,

For those who may think that a few cents change in pitch should be charged
extra for because it may take 2 passes to get a stable tuning, today, I tuned
an 1897 open face pinblock Hinze upright which had last been tuned in
February, 2001 at 440.  Today, A4 spun the lights up to +55 cents.

I did this job for the local dealer I regularly to contract work for.  I
remember the piano from past years, finding it ridiculously flat, all flanges
rattling and hammers needing alignment during a winter tuning appointment.

This dealer keeps a ongoing computer record which I read and noted that
another tech had also tightened all flanges in winter, 1999.  A year ago,
September 2000, the pitch had been lowered 53 cents to 440.

Today, I "floated" the pitch, as they say, at +50 cents.  The customer
remarked when I finished at how nice it sounded.  I collected the fee but
said nothing else at all about anything.

Why bother?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin