Tensioned hammers and "the staple"

BEATRIX ERWIN erwinpiano@msn.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:35:18 -0700

 Hi Jim

 I completely agree staple are a sales gimmick of the past. If the glue f=
ails the tone probably will too with or without the staple. Have recently=
 replaced a set of Isaac hammers with staples. The glue joints in the bas=
s failed and the staples helped ?.NOT!!!!! Looked like a blow out on the =
freeway. No dispersion on the product intended as every hammer maker can =
have glue failures. Glue is fickle after all especially the polyurethane =
varieties which don't do well in low humidity conditions.
    Best ---Dale Erwin
 =20
----- Original Message -----
From: JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 5:22 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Tensioned hammers and "the staple"
 =20

In a message dated 26/09/01 7:39:43 PM, davidlovepianos@earthlink.net wri=
tes:

<<  Can anyone comment on this apparent disagreement.

David Love >>

The staple puller was right. Staples serve no useful function. Tied wire
might but is also un-needed for felt to moldings glue joints unless the g=
lue
joint/line is faulty.
But I am sure there are differing opinions. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)