Damper Lever Rebuild (tad long)

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:38:03 -0000

Terry wrote in reply to Roger.....

>Thanks for the tip Roger. My first time at this upright stuff. I did not =
>think of that. I currently have all the butts and wippens off, so I will =
>go ahead and remove the back rail and complete my dampers before I =
>install the other stuff. What a pain having the piano 25 miles away. =
>Your approach sounds good. Do the dampers first while the action is =
>clean and uncluttered with all the other parts.

Terry,

With the piano 25 miles away, one thing you could do to speed up the
installation is to break off the old heads and either replace with new or
refelted originals at the piano. To align a new set of damper felts in a
fully assembled action can be time consuming. If the piano is available then
Rogers method is best, no obstacles.

Then the regulation procedure is to align the damper barrels (what do you
guys call these?) to the strings, left to right, adjust barrels spacing from
string (forward / back) using a sample head dry fitted, check also spoon
position. Once the wire bending is close simply pull back the levers as you
fit the heads in with a dab of glue, factory style. This allows the new felt
to contact the string throughout it's length and makes a better job than the
myriad of wire bends we have to do otherwise.

This is my preference for this job.

Cheers,

Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth