Tensioned hammers and "the staple"

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:38:05 -0000

Roger wrote....

>            I remember a conversation with some of the Baldwin Engineering
>staff about wired hammers.  Con census was, the company was doing it,
>because it was a feature on Steinway's. Back in the days of hide glue, it
>was a safety feature, with modern water resistant glues it is redundant.
>I have also noted marginal tonal changes when removing staples.  Any gain
>is not worth the effort, in my opinion.

It was a safety feature that didn't always work in many low end English and
several European pianos like Weinbach. Many times the underside comes
unglued and not being immediately visible makes one wonder why the sound is
dead.... and I mean dead.

On inspection most of the staples barely get into the underside of the
hammer felt on some of these pianos. Not much one can do as it isn't
possible (to me anyway) to replace the original tension into the hammer.
Replacement is the only option.

Could be partly due to our higher humidity too.

Regards,

Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth
New Zealand