Aural Octave Tuning & Cutting Technology

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:02:22 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/01 8:34:37 AM Central Daylight Time,
jformsma@dixie-net.com writes:

> They both "agree" with each other, and both sounding together produce a
>
> "perfect" octave in which all the partials best agree. When tuning treble
> octaves, if your top note is too sharp, you can think of your triangle
> leaning to the right. When the top note is too flat, you can think of the
> triangle leaning to the left. To correct a bad octave, make your triangle
> stop leaning, and come to the "straight up" position. I still test my
> octaves, but find that I have to do less retuning with this technique.

John

The concept is good, but the result might not be what I want. In order for
the treble to sound more in tune, we generally have to stretch the top note a
tad. So in a sense, although you can visualize a straight standing triangle,
you actually want to have that triable leaning to the right.

When I used to tune strictly by ear, I tuned, what I thought, were "perfect"
octaves, the kind you are visualizing. My wife, Jan, also tunes, but relies
more on the Accutuner. We both tuned for the same customer, a friend from
church, who told me that she liked Jan's tuning better. I listened to the
tuning, and to my ears, found the top octaves too high.

When I started using my Accutuner almost exclusively, (except for unisons), I
had to get used to what the machine was telling me. At first I kept trying to
bring down the octaves. But now that I am used to it, the octaves do sound
much better.

Wim