repinning "broaches"?

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:31:43 -0100

> Can anyone... explain just HOW they work

They're handled straight rods about 75mm long. Tip is tapered, and the
shank is roughened toward the handle. I haven't needed to check
diameters, they're labelled accurately for corresponding pin sizes.
Periodically they need relabelling, best to scratch, etch or punch
numbers into the wood.

Usually I go through a whole set of flanges, old or new, checking
friction in each assembly with a little torque scale, and checking
whether both sides are equally snug. By the third or fourth one, I find
an average replacement pin size (I don't measure every old pin) - to
make sure of fitting, I check insertion resistance with a pin for each
bushing; often one side needs more reaming than the other. Repin, check
again with scale, install.

A table at the right height saves a lot of motion.

Clark