expanded temperament

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:05:08 -0500

At 06:21 09/28/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 9/28/01 4:31:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
>dnereson@dimensional.com (Dave Nereson) writes:
>
>><<This is the area of the piano which requires the utmost in precision.
>>Even an error of 1 cent is audible and does affect the quality of harmony.
>>The tolerance for an error on the PTG Exam in this area is 1 cent.    (B.
>>Bremmer)>>
>>
>>    I read somewhere that the smallest pitch difference the average person
>>(including most musicians and some tuners) can hear is about 3 cents, so
>>when I read tuning articles where a few tenths of a cent are being quibbled
>>over, I just have to wince.  Now if all my customers were concert artists,
>>that'd be different....
>

>Do you really believe that you could tune the midrange of a piano with a
>tolerance of +/- 3 cents on each note and get paid for it? .......
>Bill Bremmer RPT
>Madison, Wisconsin

Nope. At least not more than once...

The confusion of hearing 1¢ vs:3¢ difference is one of timing. (Timing is
everything, right?)

I believe that the 3¢ differentiation is between sequential notes, whereas
Bill would be referring to notes played simultaneously.

As an experiment, if you have an ETD, tune one trichord 0/+1/+3¢.
-With your finger as a mute, alternate between left and right strings and
see if you can discern a pitch difference.
-Then, just mute the right and hear what a 1¢ simultaneous difference is like.
-Retune the right to +1¢, or use two fingers to alternate between 0 and
+1¢. Hear any difference?

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(563)-387-1204  //  Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)
=== Note new area code === obligatory 1 December 2001  ===

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin and Hobbes