String Question

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:32:26 +0200

jolly roger wrote:

> Hi Ric,
>             Phasing gives almost the same aural effect as a false beat,
> when listening to the unison.  However each individual string can sound
> clean.  The fact that the harmonics are having their own little war because
> of timing, is another different story. (GRIN)

I'll agree with that on the phasing... and I'll agree that technically this is not
exactly a false beat... tho you sure are right about it being similar.....

btw... I like the grin... looks good on you :)

> Now here's some food for thought.  Unison sounds clean at ppp, but sounds
> false at fff.  And yes it does happen.   It's usually the centre pin worn,
> on one side of the bushing causing the hammer to twist at the beginning of
> it's flight, inducing a phasing problem only on firm blows.

Yep... I see it all the time.. specially on my favorite, the  "P" piano. Actaully
anything that causes the hammer to hit the strings less then very precisely causes
this affect. Tho this is a bit easier to learn to "hear" right off then other
phasing problems sometimes are.

> Heck it's a wonder these pianos ever work, and create such wonderful music.
>
> Roger

Actaully, a lot of folks really like a piano that has a bit of sourness to it. I
keep hearing expressions like  "lively" and "exciting",  that seem to be attached
to that particular wanginess we tuners love to hate.

Been interesting to read what different folks have had to say about falseness so
far... or what ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.