Unlacquered S&S hammers:

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 08:14:28 EDT

In a message dated 29/09/01 5:11:41 AM, rbrekne@broadpark.no writes:

<<" All this might clear up for example why you report that Able hammers are
so
hard.. and some of us over here are scratching our heads about that as well as
being potentially very enlighting as a whole">>

Richard we need to keep in mind that all "Abels" are not created equal. Abel,
and other makers, have a range of different weights, density, and hardness in
their hammers and as such one can't say 'all Abels are too hard' and really
be accurate.
 'Hard' and 'too hard' are really meaningless concepts except to the
individual tech and *their* 'typical' usage.  For new and redesigned boards
generic hammers are in the mix but, as Del and Ron have said, might not be
the preferred ones.

 There is also a philosophical type difference in dealing with hammer
hardness/softness. The question is.... 'is it better to begin with hammers
that in general are too hard and voice them down or hammers that generally
are too soft and voice them up'...???? "Voicing" to include the spectrum of
things done to achieve desired tone.   I prefer to start with a firm hammer
and voice down as needed rather than start with a less firm hammer and voice
up. Different strokes as they say......
Jim Bryant (FL)