Unlacquered S&S hammers: was Re: Tensioned hammers and"the staple"

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 11:13:39 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "J Patrick Draine" <draine@mediaone.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 28, 2001 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: Unlacquered S&S hammers: was Re: Tensioned hammers and"the
staple"

> Ron wrote:
>
> >  I'm installing soundboards something similar to what Del
> >is doing, ...
> >The difference is in the soundboard design, not the hammers. With a
> >efficient soundboard and string scale, very little hammer voicing is
> >necessary.
>
> Ron & Del:
> Perhaps a diagram of your rib layout versus the standard S&S layout
> would help those of us having a hard time visualizing the standard v.
> ideal layout.
> Patrick

While I'm not willing to broadcast this information over the pianotech list,
various drawings and photographs of the whole process are regularly shown in
the classes I give on different aspects of piano technology. In these
classes I also give enough theory and explanation for it all to make sense
(I hope). The drawings by themselves really won't do all that much good
anyway.

The last one was an all-day session at the Reno Convention and the next one
is another all-day session coming up in a couple of weeks in Texas.

Regards,

Del