Unwrapped ends of bass strings

antonis karavelis antkarav@otenet.gr
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 00:06:24 +0300

I have noticed in all pianos, even in the finest grands, that in some =
bichords in the bass section the unwrapped end of one string of the =
unison varies in lentgh sometimes significally from the other. I'm aware =
that these unwrapped ends influence inharmonicity (as W.Trow Goddard =
proposes in his handbook on the strings of the piano)  and I suspect =
that these varations occur in order to produce a beatless unison. =
However, is there any method with predictable results for a tuner to =
match a given set of bass bichords or trichords and how can this be =
applied in the field? I'm going to restring a S&S D and I fear that in =
the end I'll come up with a bass section full of "dirty" unisons.
P.S: I'm new to the list and I don't know whether there is a fee for =
sending and receiving the mails. If someone would be kind enough to =
inform me...
Antonis Karavelis
Athens-Greece.